FEBRUARY 2, 2021 | F.DICK PINK SPIRIT KNIVES
A Decadent Valentine’s Dessert with a Twist
PHOTO: NICHOLE KELLY
Just like the holidays and birthdays that have preceded it, Valentine’s Day 2021 is shaping one to be one that’s very low-key. In most cases, there won’t be dinner reservations or a show, no weekend getaways or special outings. While we can’t go all out, we can still mark the occasion and make it one to remember.
Our thoughts? Celebrate with a good meal and something sweet. A homemade Valentine’s chocolate treat is romantic, decadent, and delicious. Our recipe for an Austrian-style chocolate torte makes the perfect ending to a V-Day dinner. Make it with your date for a fun little activity, or prepare it ahead of time and surprise them at dessert—we think this baked-from-scratch sweet is sure to impress.
Traditionally this cake is made with an apricot filling. However, we decided to give the recipe a little Food Supplies twist, since we think dark chocolate and raspberries are a particularly divine combination! If you’re a fan of apricots, swap out the raspberries and raspberry jam for apricots and apricot jam instead. Either way, this torte will be a winner!
Austrian Chocolate Torte
- 8oz Dark chocolate
- 1/2 tsp of instant coffee mixed in 1 tsp of hot water
- 1 cup of butter softened
- 7 eggs at room temperature, yolks and whites separated
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 cup cake flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup raspberry jam
Chocolate Glaze Ingredients
- 10 oz dark chocolate
- 1 1/3 cup of whipping cream (300gms)
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Prepare a 2 x 8” springform pan: spray with cooking spray and line with parchment paper
- In a double boiler (or a stainless steel bowl over a pot of lightly simmering water), melt chopped chocolate and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer using a whisk attachment, whip egg whites slowly, adding sugar a bit at a time until it forms stiff peaks (this helps the sugar blend into egg whites evenly). Put egg whites in a separate bowl.
- In the stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix butter and egg yolks until soft and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, coffee, melted chocolate and cocoa to the egg yolk mixture.
- Sift flour and salt into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in egg whites.
- Once well combined, pour into prepared springform pans.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until the cake springs backs or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 20 minutes before releasing from pan, and wait for cake to cool completely before cutting in half.
- Warm jam in the microwave for 30 seconds. In a bowl, mash the raspberries with a fork and mix in the jam. Spread in between cakes.
- Prepare chocolate glaze by bringing the cream and corn syrup to a simmer, pour over chocolate and allow to sit for 2 minutes. Stir to emulsify.
- Allow the glaze to cool for 5 minutes and pour over cake.
- Cool cake completely and top with fresh raspberries and or shaved chocolate.
To preserve the cake’s appearance, cut it only after it has cooled, using a serrated knife (we love this F.Dick Pink Spirit Series blade) to prevent crushing and loosening the torte. Serve with whipped cream, and enjoy your sweet night in!